Saturday, June 21, 2008

Yes, One Last Painting



These clouds were too much to pass up.

I usually have half an idea then drive around until it hits me. Maybe looking for an ordering-- for instance that Mesa top right away organizes the space around it. The central dramatic sky-- and then how it drifts away into a simpler down space.





It's different than a photograph, areas have thought of shape, more physical. The dramatic light of the photo doesn't really come out in a painting, or not in mine-- I'm not interested so much in that illusion.

(Interesting how in the Hudson River paintings they liked the golden transparent light-- they likened to that of Heaven)

I like the idea of Heaven, but HERE, that I can draw, make a shape, and some color idea!

Again I like space but in a flat shape, that goes back but then snaps back to the surface.

A painting has its own life and reality independent of the scene.



I was happy that the painting came out well, as I had to pass up the arriving sunset. I hadn't eaten yet and I've been at it since this morning.



On the way home there was silent lightning on the Pedernal and as I rounded the bend a rainbow from all the dramatic clouds and thunderstorm activity. As I headed down the hill I spied red clouds in my rear view mirror, I had to run back to take a look at this. I was just too tired and my brushes full of old paint.



I'm not sure any of these moments would have made great paintings, but the memory of the lightening, rainbow and sunset could spawn something later--





I guess this will seem simplistic and naive back in the city. I guess that's what I meant in the beginning by how "one had to suspend one's disbelief."

No comments: